Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dancing

Last week a work crew was fixing a meter on my street. My kid told me later that day. The girl had turned up the music on the radio and was dancing. He asked 'What did she do to that guy because he looked strange, like she put him in a trance.' I told him guys like certain things about women, the way they move, the way they talk, the way they look.

It got me thinking about how dancing brings out emotions in people that has a strange effect on them. A primative self. It reminded me about times in my life. I've had people physically hit me for dancing. I've had people insult me for dancing. I've danced with awesome dance partners that every move seemed perfectly choreographed, without practice. There is something about dancing that speaks on another level. It makes some people gaze, it brings other people joy. It touches our fears, our sanity. It brings us to the simplicity and the complexity of life.

That night we lit a fire outside and my kid made shadows on the wall, it was fun watching him, watch his shadow dance.

No comments: