Monday, August 30, 2010

Granite Spiny Lizard rescue

On the 25th we found a lizard stuck in roof tar.  A bucket of roof tar had been overturned and a lizard was trying to free himself.  I got him out and brought him home.  A quick Internet search, Dawn dish washing liquid was recommended.  I also contacted Herp Nation Magazine
I received an email
from Scott Waters
Executive Editor,
Herp Nation Magazine
http://www.herpnation.com/
He helped me to correctly identify the lizard I was helping, and recommended using mayonnaise.  The mayonnaise worked extremely well.  It took 5 days before the tar to loosen and come off.  I was mostly concerned with keeping the lizard alive, and getting him back into his natural environment quickly.  I wanted to make sure he could use his feet and legs correctly.  I released him this morning.  He still has some tar stuck on him, but he had full use of his front and back legs.  The little grips on his toes were no longer covered in goo.  Something we learned is they can bite!

No comments: